Wednesday, September 19, 2012

In Search of the Unpretentious @ Andrew's Hamburgers

Be warned, the images may not be particularly appetizing, but artistry is not what Andrew's is about. Andrew's is a world away from the 'look at me' new age restaurants. It shirks the trends of the gourmet food brigade. Rather, delivering; good, honest, no frills food, packed full of flavor.

No matter how many fancy burgers I've eaten, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I like them how they used to be. I'm of the school that thinks a burger should be eaten with your bare hands. None of this fork and knife business for me. Well, not unless I'm in a fancy restaurant and the peer pressure of my potentially judgmental co-dinners is far too strong to shake. No balls, you say!

Now Andrew's may look like your average take away shop, but ask anyone who's been there and they will tell you it is so much more. I had to see for myself if all these high praises were justified and that is precisely what lead me to my first encounter with Andrew's. After a busy Saturday morning, finishing off an assignment I'd rather not have had to do, R and I headed down to Albert Park around late afternoon. We came across Andrew's tiny little shopfront, nestled into the Bridport St shopping strip. Alas, it was not our lucky day, we walked in as they were cleaning up the shop, ten minutes too late they said. But one of the older staff said she had saved herself a burger and we were welcome to have it for free, she even offered to cut it in two for us. Such a sweetheart! We politely declined, not wanting to rob her of her lunch, but promised to come back another day.

On our second visit, we did our research and made sure the shop was actually open. Not only was it open, it was packed. Note of warning, make sure you have some cash on you. We didn't, but there are plenty of ATM's available in the area. I ordered the traditional beef burger with the lot ($10.50), as did R. This consisted of egg, bacon, tomato, cheese, onion, lettuce, and a beef patty, all sandwiched between a seeded bun. We ordered our burgers along with a side of small chips ($3.50). Ravenous with hunger, we devoured our burgers from the comfort of our car, right out front of the shop. You'll have to excuse me for my lack of quality photography, they were taken in a dark car with the aid of a sub par camera phone. I suppose it's befitting, just like Andrew's, there's nothing fancy in its representation either.

Andrew's has been around since 1939 and it's not surprising that it's still thriving. Their 'the lot' burger is massive! I struggled to even get my mouth around it and it's just so good, you keep going, even though you know you can't possibly fit in any more. The patty is grilled just that little bit extra, yet maintains it's juiciness and the bun is just right, even Goldilocks would agree. As good as the burger was, the chips were better. I don't even like chips that much, but we ate every last one. They were crunchy, salty and managed to stay that way right to the very last chip. 

Apart from their burgers, Andrew's also do souvlakis. However, with burgers so good, I'm not sure I'll get onto trying anything else.


                
 
Andrew's Hamburgers on Urbanspoon My Rating: 8/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment